In the week of its release, Pokemon Go managed to surpass the popularity of Twitter, one of the top 15 most widely used mobile apps of all time – with more than 65 million signups in America, New Zealand, and Australia. And with the recent release in UK and Asia, the numbers are predicted to reach phenomenal heights.
What can be credited for Pokemon Go’s unprecedented success? Augmented Reality gaming is definitely the biggest factor. That, plus nostalgia – specifically for the children of the 90’s – makes a perfect, winning combination. Here are 21 Tweets that prove Pokemon Go has taken over the world:
1. Catching something extremely rare, only to realize you can’t register it to your Pokedex
2. Trying to go into rehab but relapse is just way too easy
3. Saying goodbye to Pokemons because your real-life friends have deserted you – to do their own Pokemon hunting
4. Having a thousand Poke balls only to end up weeping because you can’t have this one gigantic Poke ball
5. If you want your friends back, well, you gotta catch ’em all!
6. And they say kids nowadays have no goals
7. Road sign evolution
8. Pokemon Go: Making traffic bearable since 2016
9. People literally say “literally” way too liberally.
10. Has your friend changed her name, too, when she evolved?
11. There’s no chasing a different kind of Cutiefly.
12. Essentially, what’s good for the customers is good for the business.
13. Moment of silence for productivity in the Philippines
14. What a Gastly mistake!
15. Do not imitate. Professional trolling experience required.
16. This woman pleads for equal love on behalf of all blue collar workers.
17. The Church of England got it right.
18. That pun was a little Farfetch’d if you ask me.
19. Even the stars have caught on.
20. Has the Pokemon Go invasion gotten too real?